Cliffs Natural Resources, the largest producer of iron ore pellets in North America, is an international mining and natural resources company. Cliffs Asia Pacific operations, located in Australia, produce direct-shipping fines and lump ore, as well as coking and thermal coal.
Our portfolio of iron ore and coal interests include:
· Ten iron ore mines owned or managed in Michigan, Minnesota, Canada and Australia, along with a 30% interest in an iron ore project in the state of Amapa in Brazil and two iron ore development projects in Eastern Canada.
· Six coal mines located in West Virginia and Alabama.
· Other projects under development include Ring of Fire chromite properties in Ontario, Canada.
The Asia Pacific business unit, Cliffs Asia Pacific Iron Ore, comprises of two iron ore mining complexes in Western Australia. Cliffs Asia Pacific Iron Ore oversees its Australian iron ore mining and exploration operation, serving the Asian iron ore markets with direct-shipping fines and lump ore via seaborne trade. Approximately 80% of all products are exported to China and the remaining 20% into Japan. A very small amount of Koolyanobbing iron ore is consumed domestically.
Our West Australian mining operations include the Koolyanobbing Operations located in the heart of the Goldfields providing lump and fine products to the international market, exported from the Port of Esperance and the Cockatoo Island Project, a Joint Venture in the Kimberleys.
Growth and Development
The Koolyanobbing Operations are currently going through an exciting growth phase incorporating a nominal 30% increase in production capacity from 8.5mt to 11mt, a trebling in mining movements over a two year period and the development of multiple new ore deposits.