The Cliffs Foundation was formed in 1962 for the purpose of making contributions to groups organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational purposes and for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.
The Foundation's major emphasis is on supporting education. This is done through a matching gift program and by direct contributions to educational institutions. These direct contributions are generally for capital drives at institutions serving our communities and scholarships at universities offering degrees in disciplines of interest to the foundation.
Health and human services contributions are directed toward hospital development programs, United Way drives, and agencies serving the less fortunate, again mainly in the foundation's areas of focus.
Cultural organizations such as orchestras, museums, and theater groups as well as civic improvement endeavors are also given consideration.
Applications for Contributions
- All requests for support must be in writing. No consideration will be given to any solicitation made by telephone, e-mail or in person unless confirmed by written request identifying the organization, its purpose, and such other information as is necessary in order to make a fair evaluation.
- Contributions are made only to organizations or projects to which gifts are deductible under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code for Federal Income Tax purposes.
- All requests for support must be reviewed annually. No commitment will be made for more than one year except that the Foundation may elect to pay some pledges in installments over a period of years.
- Requests for financial support are directed to the Vice President-Assistant Treasurer of The Cliffs Foundation.
- The Vice President-Assistant Treasurer evaluates the requests and submits them to the Distribution Committee.
- The Distribution Committee evaluates the requests and returns them with final comments and approvals to the Vice President-Assistant Treasurer.
- A letter from the Vice President-Assistant Treasurer of the Foundation will accompany the payment check. In the event the Foundation is unable to participate in a contribution, every attempt will be made to notify those organizations that fit within the scope of the Foundation Statement of Purpose