Cliffs has responded to the recent decision by the Ontario Mining and Lands Commissioner regarding the Company's proposed all-weather road. Please refer to the news release for this information.
Cliffs has temporarily suspended its EA process pending resolution of various issues. Please refer to our news release for the latest information.
Cliffs is proposing the development of a Chromite Mine located in an area in Northern Ontario referred to as the Ring of Fire. We are currently in the early planning stages for this Project and are undergoing a coordinated Environmental Assessment under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act and the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act. The graphic to the right outlines the steps in this process, and notes our progress.
Proposed Mine Location
The proposed mine is located within Northern Ontario.
(download larger version of map)
- The closest communities are the Webequie First Nation to the northwest and Marten Falls First Nation to the southeast.
- The town of Nakina in the Municipality of Greenstone is located 350 km directly south of the mine site on the CN transcontinental rail line and the TransCanada Highway (Ontario Highway 11).
- The closest major city is Thunder Bay, approximately two hours by air to the southwest.
- The nearest industrial facilities are the Victor Diamond Mine 150 km to the east and the Musselwhite Gold Mine 300 km to the west.
World Class Potential
While remote, and with significant infrastructure challenges, Cliffs’ Black Thor chromite deposit is potentially world class. The value of this deposit becomes evident only once the chromite is mined, and processed into concentrate ferrochrome, a product sold to producers of stainless steel.
- Development of the chromite deposit will require a major investment of money and resources by Cliffs.
- The cost of on-going feasibility and environmental studies is significant.
- Recently entered into the feasibility stage of the Project through which project details will continue to be refined.
- Our schedule is to begin production in 2016.
Achieving this goal will require the support of our many partners, who we expect will also benefit from this